websites and CMS
Science CMS is a multi-site Content Management System (CMS). Typically a CMS makes it easy to publish and administrate information coming from various origin. There is also a clear separation of content, structure and design. A particular feature of Science CMS is the possibility to manage several websites within a single software installation.
- Easy content production - Designed with non-technical content editors. All department members even with average knowledge of word processing can create the content easily. No HTML or programming skills required. No Web designers or programmers are needed for every little modification - you are in control of your website.
- Decentralized maintenance - based on a common web browser. Edit anywhere, anytime.
- Consistency of design - Content is stored separate from Web design. Presentation is consistent for all pages.
- Content is stored in a database - Central storage means that content can be reused in many places on the website and formatted for multiple devices (Web browsers, printers, etc).
- Navigation is automatically generated - Menus are generated automatically based on the database content. All URLs are rewrited in a clear and human readable way..
- Configurable access restrictions - Users are assigned roles and permissions that prevent them from touching content in which they are not authorized to change. Each Web page is also assigned with permissions access for users and visitors.
- Cooperation - Members of a group can edit pages that are shared by the groups. This allows faster edition process.
- Versions - All changes in Web pages are kept in log files with authors and dates. Old versions can be recovered.
- Search engines - All pages can be found and indexed by common search engines like Google. Pages with the same content but different layout are indexed only one time.
- Multiple websites production - Within a single software installation, it is possible to create multiples websites with different designs and styles. You save maintenance cost. For example, a unique software installation could be done for a university managing all departments websites.
- mobile phone also available
- Full Text site search - The built-in search engine can index the intranet and the Web pages. This allows to search in specific domains and takes into account visitors permissions. The search can be restricted to particular domains of the CMS.
- Protected contact formular - The contact form is secured by a challenge question to the visitor.
- Sitemap - The sitemap (map of all Web pages) is automatically produced and always up to date.
- Printer friendly page - Only the content is printed.
- Users and groups management - Groups and users can be configured for individual needs. Users can edit only pages of the groups they belong to.
- Members and mailing list - Members of group are presented in a single page with names and positions. After login, it is possible to have access to the mailing list of the group.
- Individual pages - Each user can have his/her own web page with personal informations and photo.
- Protected emails - All emails are protected and only shown in clear text after a challenge question to the visitor. So we are sure that the visitor is not a program or a robot.
- Personal Web pages - Each group member can manage his/her own Web page. When publications, projects or lectures are found, they are automatically linked on the personal Web page.
- Publications Repository - The publications database system allows to managed a complete bibliographic database. This includes uploading PDF documents, export options, built-in search engine, etc.
- Projects pages - Projects are typically described in one page with group members added and external collaborators. Images can added and also references to publications from the database. References are automatically linked to their publications.
- Job module - a job module can be used for advertising open positions and jobs.
- Agenda module
- Events Scheduler and Alerts - Each group members that has editor rights can add seminars or meetings. These events are then displayed on the main Web page and alerts can be send to predefined groups.
- Lectures Database - All lectures with content and schedules are entered in a database where they can be linked to professors and rooms.
- Rooms Database - Based on lectures and events schedules, the occupation plan of rooms is automatically done.
- Online Formula Editor - Formula are edited online and saved in the image GIF format. They are then linked in Web pages. The formula editor supports LaTeX writing.
- Extension - Extensions can be added. (Possible examples: instrumentations database, experimental process, program archive, news service, etc)
Software and technical Features
- Edition: the userfriendly HTML editor is tinyMCE
- Browser compatibility - Science CMS works with most current browsers (MSIE, Firefox, Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Android, etc).
- Modular programing - The CMS is modular, and additional features can be added or removed from the system.
- Development - Due to its modular and clear programing, the CMS can be extended or modified.
- Software required - The CMS is installed on our server. You do not need any special software.
- Quality Assurance - Pages are HTML and CSS validated by W3C
- Automatic server report : the server is checked every hour against standard problems.
- Encrypted login in http : login are always encrypted with SHA1 160 bits keys
- HTTPS secure encrypted server : the administration part run under HTTPS server with SSL encryption.
- Separted MySQL users : Visitors have only read access to the MySQL database. This prevent any damage in case of a successful attack against the PHP/MySQL code.
- Backup - There is a backup on the entire database content every day.
- The access to the CMS back-end can be restricted to some IP or domains.
Certifications and Awards
Award - The portal myScience.ch based on Science CMS, was awarded by the magazin Anthrazit as beeing one of the 200 best websites in Switzerland in 2009. [Anthrazit February 2009 "Die 200 Best Websites 2009"]. myScience.ch has about 1500 unique visitors per day in 2010.